Jobs and Internships
Nashville Public Television is an EEO employer
If you are a local organization that assists job seekers, please let us know if you would like to be included in receiving our notifications of NPT job openings by writing to:
NPT Human Resources
Nashville Public Television
161 Rains Avenue
Nashville, TN 37203
or e-mail us at:
NPT President & CEO
Exciting opportunity to lead public media in one of the most dynamic and growing regions in the nation. Nashville Public Television (NPT) is seeking a visionary media professional to serve as President and CEO. Nashville Public Television reaches 2.4 million people in the Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky viewing area. Known for its thriving community in music, food and the arts, Nashville is a culturally rich, diverse city. Working with the Board of Directors, the CEO will implement the strategic direction of NPT, a well-respected, financially successful station. Additionally, the CEO will oversee station efforts in multi-platform content creation and distribution and serve as principal ambassador to the community-at-large. See below for the position description.
NPT is assisted in this search by NETA Consulting. If you are interested in applying, send your resume and a one-page vision statement for NPT and public media to: NPTCeo@Netaconsulting.org
To discuss this opportunity, you can contact Skip Hinton, Skip@netaconsulting.org.
For best possible consideration, please submit application by January 4, 2021. NPT is an equal opportunity employer.
Nashville Public Television (NPT), Nashville’s PBS station, is available free and over-the-air to nearly 2.4 million people throughout the Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky viewing area. NPT is also available to anyone in the world through its array of NPT digital services, including wnpt.org, YouTube channels and the PBS video app. Located in one of the fastest growing regions in the country, Nashville is known for its thriving cultural community including its rich music and food scenes.
We are looking for a visionary, charismatic CEO who has high energy and the ability to communicate effectively. The ideal candidate will connect with the community, the staff and the board of directors. The CEO reports to the chair of the Board of Directors and is responsible for implementing the strategic direction of the organization.
WNPT, Nashville’s independent, nonprofit PBS station, is operated by licensee, Nashville Public Television, Inc. https://www.wnpt.org/about/
Serves as chief executive of Nashville Public Television, providing leadership, direction and oversight to ensure that the organization fulfills its mission and achieves its objectives, as determined with the Board of Directors. Serves as a voting member of the corporation’s board.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In consultation with the Board of Directors, develops the organization’s strategic direction, short and long-term plans and budgets. Tracks industry trends with respect to content, technology and funding.
- Provides leadership and guidance to members of the top management team to ensure the smooth operation of the organization, as well as appropriate alignment of departmental strategies with overall mission and available resources. Assures accountability by working with senior staff to establish goals and tracking mechanisms.
- Responsible for ensuring that the organization operates in a financially responsible manner within parameters determined by the Board of Directors. Maximizes revenues available for service through strategic, effective and ethical fundraising.
- Develops strategic alliances with other organizations.
- Oversees a strong presence in the community through support and collaboration with other like-minded non-profit and educational organizations.
- Serves as the chief fundraiser for the organization, including cultivation of relationships and solicitation of support from key individuals, corporations and foundations.
- Develops appropriate public service and revenue-generation projects and ventures designed to further the mission and/or strengthen the organization’s financial situation.
- Manages and supervises top management and other staff members. Assures sound stewardship of resources.
- Responsible for operation of the organization under applicable laws and regulations of the federal, state and local governments, as well as the FCC and other regulatory bodies.
- Maintains strong relationships with public broadcasting national organizations and other local public broadcasters.
- Fosters diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Establishes and nurtures an environment to maintain a strong, inclusive and positive staff. Guides professional development initiatives.
- Leads station efforts in multi-platform content creation and distribution.
Seven years of increasingly responsible and successful experience in a senior executive role, preferably in broadcast media. Ability to understand local, state and federal rules, regulations, policies and laws pertaining to the operation of a public television station and a non-profit organization. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required, graduate level preferred. Computer literate.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge:
- Effective communicator
- Thorough understanding of technology relating to broadcasting, content creation, distribution channels and emerging trends
- Proven track record in driving financial success
- Demonstrated ability to represent the organization and work collaboratively with the community and public media nationally
- Ability to oversee staff members, providing effective leadership, support and team building
Experience in developing and maintaining industry standards and ethics, and working to ensure the creation of unbiased content for the organization
- Strong communicator/charismatic leader
- Team builder
- Honesty and integrity
- Ability to align with the strategic direction of the board
- Thought leader
Nashville Public Television is an Equal Opportunity Employer
TV Production Internship Opportunities
NPT provides unpaid internships for students who are interested in gaining hands-on experience in television production and equipment operation.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we are not taking interns at this time. We will reevaluate our decision when we feel that we can offer students a safe environment in which to learn.
Internships may be tailored to meet specific areas of interest. However, the basic focus of the program is behind-the-scenes production work, providing students with experience in both live and taped shows. The internship also includes non-broadcast related activities, such as studio set-up and maintenance.
- Run prompter
- Edit weekly promos and other non linear editing
- Grip and studio set-up work
- Assist on field shoots
- Log interviews
- Other production related tasks as time permits
Motivated and committed individuals will benefit the most from this program. A positive attitude and a willingness to learn are essential.
Interns are required to receive college credit hours in exchange for internships.
IMPORTANT: Candidates must be available for at least two 5 hour blocks of time during normal business hours.
If you are interested in an internship in the NPT production department, please send an email with resume including course history of television production classes and particular area of interest to: email@example.com
Or mail to:
Nashville Public Television
161 Rains Avenue
Nashville, TN 37203